> Hmm.  How then would you get just a plain "C" typeset then?  ;-p  Most pop
> charts I've seen avoid 7th chords like the plague...  Seriously, though,
> most music that I typeset requires both (and some chords that aren't
> properly handled yet--my own fault).

<snipped>

> I'm still not sure I fully understand.  What it *sounds* like is that you
> want to tell lily, say, use the Lydian mode for constructing all future
> chords so that your I chord comes out automagically as a diminished chord?
Well, I want to type in a simultaneous music expression, like <c1 d e f
g a b>, and then when this is interpreted by a chord name voice, for
lily to go off and compare this with something in chord-names.scm and
decide that it's a minor scale.  Then, if there is also a \chords mode
which makes typing in these simultaneuous expressions easier, then so
much the better.  (at the moment I can't really use /chords mode because
I have to specify accurately which notes are in my chord so that my
chord-names.scm works).

Of course, I'm forgetting all about inversions & bass notes here.  Is it
possible to specify these without using \chords mode?
(and what's the difference between an inversion and a bass note?)

That example was a scale but I don't see why one couldn't write <c e g>
and get "C" out, as well.