> >   I'm not sure though - does the same thing happen in \chords mode?
> >   What if one tries, say, ees:m7 and dis:m7?
>
> Yes - compare des:dim7  with cis:dim7 - one has double-flats, which
> presumably means something like (x . -2) in chord-names.scm,
> and the other doesn't.

I'm not sure what the problem is--the Dbo7 has double flats because this
example is typeset in the key of C (try it in Db!).  The C#o7 doesn't have
double flats for the same reason.  The interval between the C# and the Bb is
still a major sixth (or dimished 7th if you like).  Admittedly, the notation
may look a little strange, but it's a lot clearer than the alternatives (and
you can find examples of this in the classical literature)!

You're right, the chords.cc uses musical_pitch but the chord-names.scm uses
intervals.  The lesson here is that if you want lily to typeset *exactly*
what you want, you have to use \chords mode...

-- Shamus

BTW, if you have suggestions for how the more esoteric chords (I'm thinking
altered 9th, 11th & 13th chords) should be notated, let me know so I can add
them in!

chords.png