> On Monday, 31 July 2000, "James Hammons" writes:
> > > Ok, now what about running?  I've made a *new* binary for .75 that
> > > uses kpathsea:
> >
> > Still no go:
> >
> > C:\Temp\lilypond\Music>ly2dvi -P american-chords
> > ly2dvi (GNU lilypond) 1.3.75
> > executing: ash -c "lilypond  american-chords 2>&1"
> > GNU LilyPond 1.3.75.
> > Now processing: `american-chords.ly'
> > Parsing...warning: invalid subtraction: not part of chord: e
> > warning: invalid subtraction: not part of chord: e
>
> Ok; I've just included kpathsea lib.  There's probably an environment
> variable that should be set (TEXMF, VARTEXFONTS, TEXFONTS); or maybe
> we even need a texmf.cnf file, Mark?

When you compile the library, you specify the default
search paths (in the file kpathsea/texmf.in), but
unless your specific directory structure matches these
settings, you need a texmf.cnf file to set the correct
runtime search paths. The place to look for the texmf.cnf
file is also specified at compile time or could be set
with the environment variable TEXMFCNF.
Also, in order to get reasonable search speed, you have
to create a file name database ls-R, using 'texhash'
(maybe called 'mktexlsr').

If you could make your compile-time configuration match
the default MikTeX setup, it would probably work for
most users. You might even be able to include a default
ls-R file for the few files needed by Lilypond.

   /Mats