On Tuesday, 1 August 2000, "James Hammons" writes:

> > You need to set a few environment variables. TEXMF is the important one.
> > I just used export TEXMF=/progra~1/texmf
> > VARTEXFONTS is useful if you have a localtexmf tree.
> >
> > Alternatively you can set TEXMFCNF to point to a texmf.cnf file that has
> > the paths in.
> >
> > Alternatively you can symlink your MikTex root to /usr/local/texmf (the
> > default)
> >
> > I have tried all three ways and they work for me. How about anybody else?
>
> It doesn't work, no matter what you set TEXMF to...

Ok, we're probably looking at the wrong problem.  If symlinks don't
work, and kpsewhich doesn't work...  It may be that cygwin programs
can't see the directories you point the variables at.  You'll have
to do some investigating yourself, there's really not much I can
do now.  Where have you mounted your MikTeX drive?

I would suggest you try running lilypond from bash.  Start bash,
use ls to see where the miktex tree is, set the TEXFONTS variable,
(or TEXMF or TEXMFCNF) check it, and run lilypond:

    c:\>bash

    $ ls /mnt/c/miktex-1.20
    bibtex/  dvips/     fonts/      metafont/  tex/      ttf2tfm/
    doc/     fontname/  makeindex/  mft/       ttf2pfb/

    $ find /mnt/c/miktex-1.20 -name cmr10.tfm
    /mnt/c/miktex-1.20/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmr10.tfm

    $ export TEXFONTS=/mnt/c/miktex-1.20/fonts/tfm/public/cm

    $ ls $TEXFONTS/cmr10.tfm
    /mnt/c/miktex-1.20/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmr10.tfm

    $ kpsewhich cmr10.tfm
    /mnt/c/miktex-1.20/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmr10.tfm

    $ lilypond american-chords.ly

Something like this should work.  Here's something else to try:

    12:25:29 appel ~$ mkdir -p /tmp/foebar/fonts/some/weird/dir/layout/tfm
    12:25:33 appel ~$ touch /tmp/foebar/fonts/some/weird/dir/layout/tfm/cmr10.tfm
    12:25:42 appel ~$ TEXFONTS=/tmp/foebar/fonts/some/weird/dir/layout/tfm kpsewhich
cmr10.tfm
    /tmp/foebar/fonts/some/weird/dir/layout/tfm/cmr10.tfm

Greetings,

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter