[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> -- too many people have too much trouble installing gnucash, esp finding the right
>    pre-req'd packages.  What to do about this?

I have already started to solve this by restructuring the ftp site.
There should now be source packages for *ALL* pre-reqs.  There are also
RPMS for RedHat 5.2 based systems.  Yes, this includes a version of
Lesstif with Motif 2.0 compatibility compiled in, and also an XmHTML RPM
built using this RPM.  The current cvs Motif code compiled using this
combination... so hopefully it should work for everyone else.  There is
also a Guile RPM.  No SWIG RPM yet.

I will also start working on the FAQ to compile Gnucash from start (
getting pkgs ) to finish ( duh, a binary ).

> -- too many potential developers struggle too hard trying to get it to compile.
>    (because most of the packages it pre-reqs are not widely used in other places)
>    What to do about this?

Same as above...

> -- too many people report that it core-dumps instantly for them (works great
>    for me, of course).  Is this related to the incompatible pre-reqs problem?
>    What to do about this?

Hmmm... I noticed this.  Even you said that some of my changes cause
core-dumps.  I would recken its a problem with all of these extra libs.
What to do about it is to rethink how we are building Gnucash.  Decide
what we *MUST* have and what we just would like.  Then throw out the
extra libs.

Here is what I think we should do.  Yes this might seem extreme but who
cares.  Its our project.  We do not have to impress the boss, or meet a
deadline.  Things are certainly not going to move any faster if left as
is.  So...

1) Drop the Motif/Qt code.  Maybe split it out into another source tree
for anyone
   that feels the need to hack on it.  Also say bye-bye to the XmHTML
problems!

2) Drop the SWIG/Perl code.  Rob has the guile/g-wrap code working
good.  Atleast he
   said so.  This would also drop eperl as a pre-req.

3) Reimplement the build system.  I believe Matt is working on this
already.

My reasoning for this is simple.  Dropping the Motif code will resolve
90% of the current build problems as Lesstif and XmHTML are gone.
Dropping the SWIG/Perl code will significantly reduce the pre-reqs as
SWIG, and Eperl will be gone.

As Linas pointed out above most, if not all, of our build problems are
from having to many pre-req libs.  So it would seem to me the best
solution is to reduce the number of them.  Right?

Or we could just forget what I just said and work on my first solution
above! ;)

--
Jeremy Collins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]