Rob Browning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   2) Don't kill off the SWIG/perl stuff completely.  Remove it from
>      the main source tree (physically or conceptually), and make sure
>      that you don't need it for anything we consider "standard"
>      (reports, etc).  I.e. "make" doesn't need it, but keep it around
>      either as a separate CVS module, or as a subdir with it's own
>      "make" step so that a perl module becomes an option.  Then
>      problems in there won't hold up the main app, and you won't have
>      to have the pre-reqs if you don't want them.  This is a good way
>      to divorce these bits from the build process without abandoning
>      them entirely right now.  If they wither and die after than in
>      favor of guile, then we can deal with that then, if not, then no
>      harm done.

I'd rather just have ./configure look for swig and eperl.  If it
doesn't find them, swig and eperl stuff doesn't get built.  Maybe
enable this only when --with-perl is passed to ./configure.

Detatching it completely almost guarantees its death.  Maybe that's
the goal!  :-)

> Dropping all the UI's but gnome would really allow/force us to focus
> on hammering the Gnome front end into shape.

I agree.  Even though I'm worried about Gnome's portability story, I'd
rather focus on one front end.

> (That or I'll work with Matt to generate such a patch -- he and I
> can figure out which would work better.  Depending on how far along
> he is, it might be easier to build on his existing work, or it might
> be better to just modify the existing tree and let him merge with
> that.).

I'm about half done, but it is easy to merge changes into what I've
got.  Given that I'm stalled and busy with stuff in the short term,
I'd say just go ahead and do what you need to in CVS.

--
matt