I'm not sure I like the model of "one directory per transaction."
After a while, especially with a busy set of accounts, this can amount
to thousands (or in the case of a business, even millions) of
transactions.  It just doesn't scale very well.

Perhaps you could have a dbm per account?  Or, better yet, use an SQL
backend with transaction support...  Seriously, if you're going to
want to get real multi-user (which implies multi-platform) support,
you're going to want a centralized database.  An SQL database is
probably one of the best ways to accomplish this.  I'd recommend MySQL
or PostgreSQL (the latter even comes installed with RH 6.x).

-derek

Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Christopher> d) The other thing that would logically go along with
> > Christopher> this would be to have some sort of "transaction lock"
> > Christopher> scheme which would forbid two windows from modifying the
> > Christopher> same transaction at the same time.
> >
> > why?  whatever one was committed last would take precedence, no?
>
> One of the goals is to allow GnuCash to support having multiple users
> working on things at once.
>
> And it's not acceptable to assume that they *know* they're trampling
> on one another; it is better to tell at least one of them that they're
> "trampling" and indicate that this isn't being permitted.
> --
> programmer, n:
>         A red eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate
>         monsters.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
>
> --
> Gnucash Developer's List

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        PGP key available