On 7/25/23 9:31 PM, R Losey wrote:
Ben, welcome!

Thanks!

I have macOS, Linux (Ubuntu 22.04LTS), and Windows 10.  I love the fact that
GnuCash runs on all these platforms; I have my data stored on a mirrored
external drive, so all computers can see it.

As an OS, I like Linux the best.

However, unless one is willing to do one's own builds, you're rather stuck with
the distribution's version, which falls behind over time. I think Ubuntu
22.04LTS comes with GnuCash 4.8, and it's up to 5.3. I'm always a little
worried about file compatibility between major versions, so I tend to avoid
running on Linux. One can use flatpack (flatpak?) to get the latest version on
Linux.... or, as I wrote, you can build GnuCash. I ran into trouble doing this
under a previous version of Ubuntu, and it left GnuCash in in unusable state.

I'm not afraid of compiling stuff (I design FPGAs and regularly have to write
the Linux Kernel drivers for my FPGA device designs and then the userland
software to drive it. Oy!)

but I do like to run my financial stuff in a dedicated thin install of windows
in a VM on my main Linux server which I can get to from everywhere via VPN
tunnel back to my server with VNC. So there is that.

Thus, I rarely run GnuCash on Linux - it's usually WIndows or macOS.

Gotcha. And I can live with that.

If you can get GnuCash running on Linux, it's nice that Linux already has perl,
so one doesn't have to install a perl environment (should you care about online
quotes).
I started tinkering with it on my laptop which is Mint (with a Windows VM via
VBox) -- but really dug in deep with the install on the aforementioned windows
VM on my network's central Linux Server.

I gave up trying to get GnuCash to talk to various financial institutions; I
enter everything manually and routinely balance my accounts. It works for me.

OK - that's good to know. A major reason I'm ticked at QB/Intuit is their mucking
with the sync stuff (when they don't have to) and the choice there is, "If I'm
going to manually enter transactions, then is moving to something else even worth
it. The whole point is to avoid the double entry errors if possible.)

Thanks for the info though... I'm gonna keep tinkering for now.

Cheers,

 -Ben