GnuCash won't let you make 'double entry errors'.

It helpfully forces all transactions to balance.

It does this by automatically creating a split assigned to either the Imbalance or Orphan accounts if you fail to balance the transaction properly and commit it anyway. (I don't recall the rules as to which one it uses when, but that is likely documented in Help)

If you ever see a balance in those accounts, you can bet you made a mistake, and then you can look it over to fix it. (they should be quite limited in number unless you import transactions by the hundreds and then don't review them in the process properly)

For some transactions, I don't enter them in a timely fashion, so if I'm unsure of some part of it, I'll assign a split to one of those accounts just as a 'tagging' method so I don't lose track of them with a note to investigate further.

Of course, there is plenty of room for other types of mistakes, but that is true of any software, or pen and paper.