Welcome to GNC.

I am on Windows 11 platform where I seem to find it that I get into less of
troubles when it comes to getting it installed and, up and running. I have been
versed in all three platforms (Windows, Linux and Mac) but I find it easier to
work with it in Windows. There are some manual one time install intervention
needed (installing Perl for example; figuring out Linux equivalent paths for
customization and backups) but it is not that earth shattering as I believe
lots of kinks has been worked out, documented here and there, there is user
contributed work around if need to resort to it and this user group which is
active.

At the end of the day, don't let GNC dictate which platform you want as more of
let your utility of the platform dictate what platform to run it on. All three
platforms are supported so you are in IMHO good hands, albeit different
platform may exhibit different bugs or un-published features per release. I do
now and then flip the platform between Linux and Windows as a convenience but
stay mostly on Windows.

I use XML as the backend for storage which works well even considering that it
is medium to large size book. It provides easiest ways to recover, share, fix
and rollback (take a checkpoint or copy before "experimenting") should there be
a problem.

I am covert from Quicken so I have learned great deal of lessons from
conversion especially getting to learn double entry system - start with zero
and end with zero 😊.

As a convert, I did lose a lot of automated download via direct connect or
Quicken Web Express but since most financial institution allows download of
transactions in OFX/QFX or CSV format, I simply just download it in OFX/QFX
format and import to bring transactions up to date or I'll put together
something crude in shell script to convert CSV to QIF format and import it as
QIF format.