On 7/25/23 10:03 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
In addition to what R Losey mentioned, I'll add that while GnuCash can use
MySQL, Postgres, or SQLite as an optional backend, it is not yet a true db
application. For now, that is just a storage mechanism. Everything is loaded
into RAM and edited from there.

The advantage to the SQL backends (other than outside queries if you so desire)
is instant saves, where the default XML backend either needs to be saved
manually, or at set intervals. (the default)

One other caveat - writing to the db store is not currently supported. It isn't
that you can't at all, but you are warned and on your own if you corrupt your
data. Some folks may report success here, but don't just jump in and start
editing data via SQL willy-nilly. (reading is fine)

Yea. Still playing. And did read the parts about the DB connections being full
of important warnings/caveats/Stuff-I-Should-Know.

You can check out the Roadmap on the wiki to see the progress done on the code
transformation that will enable a proper db-based app.

Will do.

As for the banking connection - sorry I can't help, but plenty of folks on this
list do, so they can hopefully jump in and offer some guidance. (if I
understand it correctly, you will not be able to 'initiate' a transaction
directly from GnuCash to your bank, you will only be able to download
transactions, and there are other options than a direct connection.)

Yea - that's all I ever did with QB anyway - except initiating transfers which
I can do manually via bank's web login anyway.

I saw the notes about unidirection transaction download only -- and I'm ok with
that.

As for OS, I use Mac daily, but occasionally test on Linux. (Ubuntu) I used to
do that via builds if needed, and I've had a few hiccups, but those were mostly
resolved. I've since resorted to testing flatpak builds (on Mint) without any
major issues. Your mileage may vary.

Also a Mint user on my laptop. (two thumbs up)

Thanks,

 -Ben