On 5/27/2024 9:12 AM, Edward Bainton wrote:
How about this:

You have to know that first, then ask, "How do I accomplish this using
GnuCash?"

Think of funds accounting as different colours of money. Every account and
every category can include any colour of money.

I need the gross figure for each account and category, the figure for each
account and category broken out into the colours of money that it’s
comprised of, and I need to report on the overall financial position and
movements in any given period of each colour of money, detailing which
accounts and categories it’s comprised of.

How do I accomplish this using GnuCash?

By not thinking about colors of money?

It is fair to ask us "How can I use gnucash to store the financial transactions so that the data can be extracted to produce the reports that I will need?"

OK to ask us "Can I produce these reports directly out of gnucash?" as long as you accept the possibility of "No, but you will be able to produce reports that when exported, will allow you you to combine/extract to produce the final reports"

NOT FAIR to ask "can I do it it THIS WAY using concepts outside of standard double entry bookkeeping.

For example, if I understand what you are asking for:

      There is an expense (call it X) for which restricted funds may be used OR non-restricted funds may be used (let's say the restricted funds for X have run out). You want to have a SINGLE account "expense X"  in which the transactions using restricted funds are "colored A" and those paid by non-restricted funds "colored B". And then on a report being able to show the total "colored A". Yes? << I'm a retired senior business analyst; that's how we work, asking the client questions >>

     Well gnucash doesn't do "colors", just debits and credits.

     You could have an expense account "expense X paid both ways" and under that child accounts "expense X paid by restricted funds" and "expense X paid by non-restricted funds" << those names just to make clear what we are talking about >>  And gnucash will certainly allow you to use account selection/exclusion so that in a report of where you only wanted that part of expense X that was paid using restricted funds you could do that.

      Again, wearing my old analyst hat, what are the reports you will need to be able to produce?  What has to be on them?

Michael D Novack