This is a perfect example of why this list is not the place for accounting advice.

We can't answer, "What should I do?"

You have to know that first, then ask, "How do I accomplish this using GnuCash?"

In many cases, the answer is, "The same way you'd do so with Pen & Paper." (sans the actual pen and paper of course)

At best, folks here can offer generalizations. Exact implementation absolutely *must* be done in consultation with local professionals versed in the laws of your jurisdiction if your issue is anything but mere personal musings, and in any case where you have any official duty or legal obligation.