From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf
Of Jan Szczepanski
Sent: 07 August 2012 10:37
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Re: Planning for the Open Access Era

Steven Harnad has had and still has an enormous influence on the open access
question. But the way he pushes for has, sorry to say, in practice shown not
to be able to compet with the market.

That is a fact that the British government now recogineses and the rest of
the world will follow. The Great Leap in China failed in the same way the
green way has failed.

What we now can see is a paradigm shift.

 Now we have to support  the free e-journal movement, not by forcing
scientists  and scholars to accept open access but by cooperate with them in
the  competion with mainly the global STM industry. It's not going to be
easy. But more and more new journals are free e-journals. The rise is
spectacular. Latin America has shown the way we have to take.

Jan

2012/8/7 Arthur Sale <a...@ozemail.com.au>:
> Oh dear Stevan. When I try to help you I get rubbished. You really
> have to stop using knee-jerk reactions.
>

> I fully agree Pay-per-view (PPV) is not ideal, and you know that I
> know it better than most. I was responding to your very off-target
> message about 'anarchic' practices (green) vs 'systemic' (gold).
> Neither is an accurate epithet. We both want open access to articles,
> not toll access, and we know it will be cheaper.  I think that totally
> deals succinctly with your points (1), (2), 3), (4), (5), (6), and (8).
>

> That leaves points (7), (9) and (10).  While I agree that Green OA is
> the potentially faster and cheaper route, it simply ain't going to happen
soon.
> Maybe it might if the OA movement got behind the Titanium route. There
> simply isn't the wish amongst researchers, funders, universities or
> the governments to push Green OA. So much for point (7). The Green
> route leads to another couple of lost decades.
>

> As to (9) and (10) I was taking the point of view of a systemic
> bureaucrat (aka devil's advocate). Green mandates are a lost cause.
> They have failed to have an impact after too many years. Looking at
> the global research publication system, it is anti-competitive as an
> industry, calling out for strong competition. What better than to provide
some?

> Arthur

when it does it is for expensive journals in Mining, etc.

> The interesting thing is that this is an system that you describe as
> anarchically growing, article-by-article, rather than the
> journal-by-journal or publisher bundle system. It has enabled the
> University of Tasmania to cancel many of the subscriptions that it
> previously held, and still come out in front. Better still, it has
> enabled the practical closure of the print journal accessioning system
> (where online versions are available), saving substantial salaries. We
> know for example that researchers seldom [physically] visit our
> [physical] libraries these days, they access articles online.
>
> If we ever reached the state where we relied on this system totally,
> then a per-article viewing fee would be easy to compare with that of a
> per-article publication fee. Of course we are never likely to go so
> far. But what it does show up is the key difference in where we are
> now: paying to read articles, as against where we want to be: paying
> to publish articles. The real difference is not between bundling and
> aggregations vs articles, but in this.
>
> I could speculate that if Finch et al had done a better analysis, they
> could have suggested applying the money they want to take away from
> researchers to University journal presses for start-up costs, on a
> competitive basis, and conditional on the funded journal being open
> access. Now that would have created a good argument. It would have
> created sustainable open access journals, in areas of UK strength, and
> the funds would have a sunset clause in them, after which the journals
> should be self-sustaining. One could rely on the universities being
> economical, because it would not be core business, though prestigious.
>
> Arthur Sale
> Tasmania, Australia

Jan Szczepański
F.d Förste bibliotekare och chef för f.d Avdelningen för humaniora vid
Göteborgs universitetsbibliotek
E-post: jan.szczepansk...@gmail.com