I assume that your problems with harvesting repositories are the publisher
objections on the principle that the *author* is allowed to decide to deposit
in the appropriate place, but that a third party does not have the right to
make a deposit independently of the author's wishes. (For the purposes of this
post I am ignoring the damage done to the concept of "Open" Access by this
distinction.)

Whatever reason, and I think that the huge variety of Web search engines and
OAI-PMH services has shown that "potentially hundreds of repositories" is
really no obstacle, the repository community has invested in the capability to
make automated deposits on behalf of their users into centralised repositories
such as PMC. The SWORD protocol has for several years been supported by arXiv
and used internationally by EPrints, DSpace and Fedora institutional
repositories.

For more information, see "Use Case 4" in "SWORD: Facilitating Deposit
Scenarios " available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january12/lewis/01lewis.html

This means that a sustainable distributed network of institutional
repositories, where local support and investment is provided for a local
community of scientists and scholars, can support and supplement the
centralised repositories which already exist.
---
Les Carr