Tim

Let me put it simply. A true copy is as good as a link. Not better, but the
same. But a true copy is difficult to ensure.

The odds are significant that the "copy" is not true.

·       Let us assume that the copying process makes a copy of the file to
which the link refers.

·       It may not collect the actual full-text but to a route on the way. In
this case the copy is a serious distraction and its links may well be broken
and fail.

·       It may be a partial copy to the full text or a copy of something
completely different. For example suppose the link is to an html article. First
Monday is an example Gold refereed journal which uses this style. The copy
process retrieves the raw text file (hopefully, if it is not in a frame,
otherwise it retrieves just the external frame code) complete with hyperlinks
to all the images, diagrams, charts, audio, or video. Pretty likely the links
in the copy are broken. The reader is presented with a stupid and unsatisfying
copy. He or she wants the real thing, so either uses the link in the metadata
(if there is one which I assert should be mandatory) or has to search for the
article using a search engine. Or forget about it.

·       In other cases of which I am aware, the end document is constructed of
a table of contents, with dependent hyperlinked separate chapter files. The
copy process now retrieves the table of contents, with probably broken links.

·       In yet other cases the end article is protected by a cover page with a
CAPTCHA. The automated copy process fails to make a copy.

·       I defer talking about ensuring that you are trying to make a copy of an
actual thing.

To forestall Stevan’s inevitable response that this is all unnecessary because
the author can just deposit the accepted manuscript, what he has failed to take
into account is:

·       The author may not have an AM. Quite often a journal will ask me to not
integrate everything into a Word file, but to provide the raw text (preferably
unformatted and looking pretty crummy) with markers where I would like the
figures and diagrams to go, and to provide the non-text items as a set of
separate files. This means that a requirement to deposit the AM may involve the
author in extra work, to suit a Stevan-inspired mandate. (Or if he/she does not
do the work, the reader gets a collection of files, poorly presented.)

·       If the author has chosen to publish in an open access outlet and wear
the cost (if any, quite often none), they will want people to see the Version
of Record, not a preliminary version. The situation is totally dissimilar to
that of publication in a subscription journal where the VoR is hidden behind a
price barrier, and access even to a preliminary version copy (the AM) is better
than none. In the already OA case the compromise does not have to be made and
shouldn’t.

I return to the point: copying an already open access document is a waste of
the author's time if they have to disassemble a complete version to put into
the repository. It is possible that it may not even be feasible to incorporate
into a single file. Believe me, I have met this situation. It is not
hypothetical.

We are also likely to waste the reader's time as well as the author's.

And we introduce the possibility of error and the temptation to fraud into open
access. I don’t think we need either.

I think that you are falling in the trap of thinking that every journal article
is produced as a Word file or a pdf. They aren't. Even less will they be as
Internet usage continues to expand into academic territory.

Best wishes

Arthur