And this is not theory. Creating an Elsevier Hub for research on the coronavirus is nothing more than a fig leaf for that company. Research is not particularly helped by opening up only what someone thinks is good for a particular field of research, while preserving the revenue stream in other areas of knowledge. Doing so is assuming that fields of knowledge do not overlap to some extent, and that one already knows the broad contours of the solutions, however unexpected they may be. Both claims are broadly incomplete, at best.

It would be amusing to know whether, in the Elsevier boardrooms, issues arose such as : "if we open access too much, we are going to lose significant revenue", or "there is threshold beyond which we lose both control and revenue", etc.

Jean-Claude Guédon

On 2020-03-31 12:35 p.m., Éric Archambault wrote:
Peter, Stevan, and Jean-Claude,

Sorry if my life's circumstances led me to become a greedy devil instead of a tenured saint.

That said, I don't think it's right to assume that we are working out of self-interest to build the Coronavirus Research Hub - as early as January individuals at Elsevier and people here in my team sought to do our bit to make information discoverable. These people are like me, we live outside a Manichean world and as we decided to do our part with the tools at our disposal even if that didn't solve all the issues in the world we live in. There are people in these organizations and insulting us at the personal level doesn't help creating the sense of community we all need to fight this bug. There is time for theory, other for actions.

Cordially

Éric