I have to disagree somewhat with me(!). Programming is much more an engineering
discipline than a creative process. A case in point: the earlier thread today
about 10x latency spike. If the latency spikes don't meet user expectation (or
a formal requirement), the program is not "done". Replacing map[int]slice with
map[int](base, limit) is a tradeoff (one among many). Making such tradeoffs is
just part of the engineering process.

If your program has to handle a certain level of load, it should be tested with
such load (or scaled down load that can be extrapolated to full scale) and make
the changes necessary to achieve that. If it has to have 99.95% uptime, you
will need redundancy. If it has to quickly recover from a crash without loss of
data, that may require using atomic transactions. Add security as well! All
these requirements will change your "beautiful" masterpiece into something
potentially ugly and boring.

A high level language makes this engineering process easier but you, the
programmer (team), still have to design, build, test and tweak a solution until
it meets your requirements; you can't expect the compiler to do all the heavy
lifting (which is almost always specific to a problem).

You can still employ your skill and creativity in fit & finish and design &
clarity of your code and occasionally coming up with a brilliant new algorithm.
None of that will be stifled just because you can't format your Go code in your
favorite C style!