On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 11:50:16 AM UTC-6, ecstati...@gmail.com wrote:

> I suggest you to look at the official D website, but if you want a
> caricatural comparison, let's say that Go is a much better C, while D is a
> much better C++.
>
> Like Go, D has also an incredibly fast compilation, a GC, and it provides
> very convenient maps, arrays, strings, slices, foreach, ranges,
> concurrency, etc, all at the language level.
>
> And it adds reference classes, genericity, polymorphism, compile-time meta
> programming, functional programming, and many other useful features that
> make programming with it an incredibly enjoyable experience.
>
> And you can go low-level too. It *also* has C-like pointers, structs,
> inline assembly, etc if you really want, for instance to use C or C++
> functions and data structures.
>
> All that is available through a very simple C/C#-like syntax, which make
> it easy transitioning from C, C++, Java, C#, Go, etc.
>
> That said, Go has clearly a much more complete standard library when it
> comes to web development. If you want to interact with servers, databases
> and anything like that, Go remains the best alternative I know.

On the server side, indeed, Go has lots for creating actual servers if you
own a server or have control over the server using cloud infrastructure -
but Go is lacking, IMO, when it comes to actual web development systems
comparable to PHP, or Ruby On Rails, or even Python. For your mass market
web developer (typical person who fires up a $5-$10 hosting account, Go
doesn't have much other than static site generators, or, you could use
plain CGI. Nothing like PHP, though... where you can download some php
forum code and be up and running in a few minutes on some cheap $10 hosting
account (with the great disadvantages of all the security holes that come
along with PHP and its code).

> Don't forget that D is a general purpose language developed by a few
> individuals on their free time, while Go is a web-focused language
> financially supported by Google.
>
> So if you are risk averse, my advice would still to use Go for server side
> development, and D for command line tools and desktop applications.

Desktop apps: widget sets? competes with Visual Studio?

Indeed Go is lacking in Widget sets and desktop software development tools,
other than using HTML 5 for your GUI.