On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:27:10PM -0000, Mtv Europe wrote:
> Hello Daniel!
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Tiefnig) wrote:
>
> > Well, you could still say "a" -> "a"..
>
> Nope, it's not permitted.   Generic rule #2, "The program is expected to
> finish in a reasonable time", so input that leads to endless loop is
> not allowed.

What a curious inference.  Can I similarly conclude that any other input
which causes my program to take a long time to execute is prohibited?

Generic rule #2 is a restriction on the code, not on the input.  Either the
code must detect an infinite loop and terminate "in a reasonable time",
according to generic rule #2, or this particular golf challenge needs a
specific rule regarding input which causes an infinite loop.

Ronald