Hello Ronald!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ronald J Kimball) wrote:

>> Nope, it's not permitted.   Generic rule #2, "The program is expected to
>> finish in a reasonable time", so input that leads to endless loop is
>> not allowed.
>
> What a curious inference.  Can I similarly conclude that any other input
> which causes my program to take a long time to execute is prohibited?
>
> Generic rule #2 is a restriction on the code, not on the input.  Either the
> code must detect an infinite loop and terminate "in a reasonable time",
> according to generic rule #2, or this particular golf challenge needs a
> specific rule regarding input which causes an infinite loop.

I used "reductio ad absurdum":
1. Suppose input that leads to endless loop is allowed.
2. You should use algorithm given in paragraph 2 of the rules page, that will
   work infinite time with such input (there is nothing in the rules about
   detection of loops).
3. Violation with genrule #2
Q.E.D.

But I agree on insufficient work on the rules and testsuit.  I blame Ton.

--
Mtv Europe