About a month ago I migrated www.muspy.com from webapp to Django 1.0
using app-engine-patch. The main reason was to provide a custom
authentication instead of the Google's.

Regarding your questions:

1. The only issue I have is
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=772
but I believe it's not specific to app-engine-patch.

2. I depend on < 200 lines of code provided by app-engine-patch to
ease the implementation of custom authentication. This code could be
easily rewritten or integrated to your app should you decide to
migrate to vanilla Django. Migration from the datastore would take
most time anyway.

3. See above. Very easy and very flexible.

4. After removing unused files from Django, my entire project is about
500 files. I didn't use zip imports and don't plan to.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have other questions.

--
Alex
www.muspy.com