Well, I don't want to derail the topic, but the main difference is
both patch and helper are projects to get django more integrated with
appengine so that people can concentrate more on getting their
application working using the Django they know, than figuring out how
to work around the differences appengine introduces.

utilities is just a bunch of, well, utilities, to make working with
appengine easier, and is not django specific at all. It started
because I recognized that there was no session api for appengine at
all. Both helper and patch have gotten Django sessions working, and
I'm not sure what level of support they offer for cache in django. I
created appengine-utilities specifically to handle sessions and cache
the best possible way on appengine, taking advantage of memcache to
provide the best performance.