Just curious to hear some opinions on this - especially from anyone
who has experience with Amazon's EC2 as well as GAE.

I just read a blog saying you can be up and running with EC2's
cheapest offering with no upfront cost and 79$ a month.  You get a
'real' virtualized Linux machine with 1.7GB of ram.  And by clicking a
button (there are free graphical admin tools now), as many more
instances/images as you need will pop up instantly using a system
image that you create to handle whatever load you have. (Your bill
goes just up as you click into more resources).

There are loads of 'public' images to pick from, some include Python
already. (Others have Java, PHP, etc).  By choosing one of these
images you'll have Python running, with full root access to a server
online that you can do whatever you like with.  I guess technically,
someone could just put the GAE SDK up on an EC2 box, with some tweaks,
and you could almost have your GAE app running there unmodified as
well?

I'm using GAE because of the zero, upfront cost currently... this is
great for toying around with neat ideas - but for 'real world',
demanding applications... you'll eventually have to pay even for GAE.
What do we have offered that something like EC2 doesn't?

Google has announced another language coming in a few months - but
again EC2 allows to use whichever is installed in your machine image
already - any language you can use in linux I suppose... not sure if
its enough to keep me onboard once my app goes over its quotas and I
have to start to pay for more.

looking forward to hear thoughts!