> There is a point which you are missing here. Firing up more images in
> EC2 does not makes your application scalable.

It seems to depend on the image you choose -  looks like images are
available that co-operate and automatically load balance at they
startup and autodetect each other.

Probably the same way the Google app cluster works - except instead of
someone in Google adding nodes you can do it yourself.

> There is lots and lots
> of other issues here. With EC2 you have to use S3 etc etc.
> there might be some point to consider working with GAE but in short I
> think there is much more to do if you want a scalable application in
> EC2.

Remember there is a lot to do to make a scalable app in GAE also.
There are numerous posts on this list where people can't even get a
simple 'web counter' to work.  The counter-argument (no pun intended)
is that the GAE app will scale in the long run due to this 'additional
effort' that we have to go through.  So ec2 and GAE both require
'effort' to make something scalable.  In GAE is via painful
limitations in Python, in EC2 its by choosing images....

If only someone at Google would stumble across Xen (http://
www.xen.org/) which is free/opensource, the tech that Amazon uses for
EC2 and port it to their own 'Googleware', and offer some free logins
to that system, it would be a true competitor!!