Yes, it's clear that it is often convenient to complement GAE with a
server that's handling long-running processes, managing queues of
work, efficiently distributing messages, etc.  And your transactional
concerns seem valid, although it also seems like it should be possible
to create a new entity group/model type to represents the type of
contentious relationship that has you worried.  But I'm sure there are
lots of issues I haven't considered!

Thanks for the info.
Ben