I'm getting this too, on a URL which is a feed URL, returning RSS. So,
yes, there are automated requests to that same URL. They are mostly
from FeedBurner, since the public feed URL redirects to it, and then
FeedBurner reads a private feed URL that is only for it + testing.

But it shouldn't be checking it very often. It does appear that it
checks it approximately once per subscriber per day, rather than
caching the value for all subscribers, which is disappointing. But,
since I know when the next feed item will be available, I'm setting
the TTL precisely so that the feed expires just as the next item
becomes available. This should minimize calls to once per day per
subscriber. That quantity of usage shouldn't trigger an error like
this.