I actually think it was a temporary glitch, I have not seen it at all since
when we first reported it.

I am in the same boat as Adam, I designed my page to make lots of
simultaneous request (via an xmlhttprequest) instead of doing all the hard
work in the main web page...  Its a hard one, because if google tell us the
thresholds for triggering this then it is open to abuse up unitl that
limit.  You can stop one person from abusing the site by blocking them from
making requests over this threshold, how would you do it for 1000 machines
from different networks hitting your site to just below the threshold
regularly.

To get to Jays argument.  although I am not keen on it, as per my original
email, I have had time over the weekend to think about it.  I think we all
need protection from malicious use, after all, everything on this service
will be directly monetisable (above the free quota) and with the services
that I run, I don't want to spend money on people who are not interested in
my site. I would however like some control over what would be blocked, after
all I will be exposing API's to clients when the GAE is out of "beta" and if
it was a traditional unix host (for instance) I would have control over the
ip addresses/ranges that have access to my site.  The point I was making
about unfairly using a shared system is that unlike a traditional host where
you have own machine on the network, GAE is not like that, your app
potentially sits alongside my application, and if for some reason your site
is getting hit by bots, it could easily mean that my site is affected.
Obviously, I don't know Google infrastructure and it could be vast array of
machines already set up for the GAE so the likleihood of you affecting my
site may be minimal.

Anyway, i think this issue may have been a storm in a tea cup (unless anyone
is still get this error).

Paul.