> Suppose one of the features I have on the App I'm creating, is the
> ability for users to subscribe for certain "alerts."
>
> 1. What would be the best way to implement this considering the
> current features available on google app engine (and possibly other
> free services)?

There are two issues to consider:

 * Calling send_mail() takes time, don't send too many emails in one
request.
 * If you send too many emails within a short period of time you will
get a quota exceeded error, even if you don't reach your daily email
quota.

What I do in my app is the following:

 * I ping a certain URL from an external box.
 * The handler of that URL sends one pending email.
 * Wait, rinse, repeat. Time to wait (in seconds) = 24 * 60 * 60 /
daily_quota.

--
www.muspy.com