2008/12/19 MajorProgamming <sefira...@gmail.com>:

> Why is it "hard work", from my understanding it simply requires
> sending an email to X amount of people.
>
> I could probably set up a PHP script to do this rather quickly...

but that script is almost certainly hiding a lot of the complexity
(like the AppEngine API does)

 preparing and starting a message on its journey is a very small part.
Once the mail has passed from the application it needs to enter the a
mail queue (of some sort) and from there be sent on its way. That
involves looking up the relevent mail server and sending it on. But a
big part of it is dealing with when that server is down, or otherwise
unavailable, or simply refuses your email, you either need to queue it
and retry later, or send a bounce to the sender.

Another big issue once you start sending large quantities of messages
- you start getting tarpitted or otherwise blacklisted by mail
servers. Esp. relevent once you start sending 'system generated'
messages that are by nature repetitive - its quite easy for these to
trigger spam measures.

Also any service (elsewhere or appengine itself), that allowed easy
(and esp free) mass mailing would be ripe target for spammers

--
Barry

- www.nearby.org.uk - www.geograph.org.uk -