I saw similar issues (with a google-issued, non-customized 500
deadline exceeded error).  I'm using appengine patch, and saw a large
increase in zipimporter calls.  It seemed like a large number of
requests were reloading the entire Django environment (and maybe doing
so more slowly than usual...) which resulted in periodic deadline
exceeded errors on very simple pages.    Sound possible?

johnP