I think our app was running into this issue also.

We are using our own django and parts of the appengine helper patch.
I would see 500 errors, deadlineexceeded but the exception is thrown
in the django, helper or pyamf (in our case we use pyamf to process
the requests from a flex/flash client) code which was even before any
datastore operations or much else ran.

The question is.  How do you set it up so that django/helper are
cached imports?

If you import things in main.py (where our main method is) does that
keep things in memory?

The docs seem to be pretty light on details about how to do this.

-Mike