China and the other countries block content that they deem
unacceptable for their citizens. In order to get appengine off the
blacklist, they would have to disallow people to create applications
which would be deemed offensive to those countries.

First, looking at it from the pure technical/business view, this would
require that applications no longer post immediately, and be under
review at each update at a minimum. This would potentially decrease
the amount of applications served (thus decreasing revenue) while
increasing costs to support the system.

>From the political/moral view, Google has been a staunch supporter of
rights to speech, and it wasn't that long ago that they were chastised
for bending their own rules to support China at all by allowing the
filtering of search results. Further expansion of their products
having such filtering imposed by them would lead to more reputation
damage. Reputation damage also costs money.

So really, from two different perspectives, there's no business sense
in worrying about if appengine applications are being firewalled by 6
out of the 150+ countries that exist in the world. As a customer you
have every right to take your business elsewhere, and if making you
application available in those 6 countries is of the importance that
you need to, I encourage you to do so. Not every web application is
going to be appropriate for appengine.

There's 6 countries that support appengine, and can only write
programs in python. Which is really the limiting factor of the
application environment?