Hi Nick,

   I am not calling sleep but I am using a server side
ArrayBlockingQueue, with methods like
queue.poll(waitTime, TimeUnit.SECONDS);
  So I am not buffering but simply responding with current messages
and if there arn't any waiting until some show up and then
responding.  If no messages show up in 20 seconds or so I respond with
a empty message list and then the client sends a new request.

I am using GWT's rpc, here is my service api, which is open souce.
http://cvs.adligo.org/viewvc/gwt_util/src/org/adligo/gwt/util/client/rpc/MessageService.java?view=markup

So I am anticipateing that I will have a lot of threads that are
simply waiting on the ArrayBlockingQueue's poll method.  This allows
me to do things like;
1) send log messages between two browser windows
2) send system messages from a admin console to anyone viewing the app
like;
      (System is going off line in 10 minutes)
      (There is pizza in the lobby for anyone who wants it)
      exc
3)  Implement a IM client in the browser
4) Send 'event' data between browser windows so a user can click a
button in one window
     and have it do something to another window.   Currently the only
application of this is to
    reload the adligo_log.properties file, so you can change your log
levels at runtime.  However
    there are a lot of other applications for this, windows can now
communicate.

Also there shouldn't be much of a drain on the processor, since most
of the threads are simply waiting (not doing a lot of processing).  It
just requires a large number of threads (one per browser window).

Cheers,
Scott

PS I would really like to host on Google Apps, the server
http://zeuhl.adligo.com/gwt_util_demo_v3_1/GwtDemo.html?show_log=true
was down all morning, since I had my phone turned off to respect for a
concert last night I didn't get a 'your server is down' text from
hosttracker.com.