On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 8:31 PM, marksea <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > We're discouraging people from using "pinging" techniques to keep
> > their VMs warm, because it increases the number of loading requests
> > for all of the low traffic applications on App Engine. It would be a
> > shame if we had to change scheduling behavior to enforce that policy.
> >

> Would also be a shame if everyone stopped using GAE because it's not
> really possible to get an app to work any other way.

Thanks for your input Mark.

The applications which suffer most from this problem are those with very
low-traffic, heavy initialization, and heavy dependencies. But we care
deeply about the performance of all applications on GAE. This is why we're
working very hard on performance improvements to the runtime which will make
all applications load and run faster. There are two pieces of good news for
you:

1) There are more performance improvements in the pipeline, like
precompilation. We've seen this provide a 30% improvement to startup for
many applications. See the release
notes<http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/source/browse/trunk/java/RELEASE_NOTES>for
more details.

2) The majority of execution time spent in startup is in application code,
giving you the capability to control it.