On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:10 PM, samwyse <samw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 11:00 am, Toby Reyelts <to...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > The applications which suffer most from this problem are those with very
> > low-traffic, heavy initialization, and heavy dependencies. But we care
> > deeply about the performance of all applications on GAE. This is why
> we're
> > working very hard on performance improvements to the runtime which will
> make
> > all applications load and run faster.
>
> Are Python GAE apps doing the usual Python optimizations?  I've been
> assuming that if I import codecs, for instance, that I'm loading pre-
> compiled byte-code from Lib/codecs.pyc.  But if I import my own
> modules, it sounds like their byte-code doesn't get saved anywhere.
> Would it be possible to upload .pyc files?  My application (a Google
> Wave bot) is probably never going to be as high-traffic as most of the
> people here, so I'd like to optimize the initialization and
> dependencies as much as possible.

There's some discussion about pyc support in issue
1695<http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1695>.
The summary is:

a) no we don't use compiled byte-code
b) you probably won't ever be able to upload compiled bytecode
c) it doesn't seem unreasonable that we can can safely compile your bytecode
for you (look at Java's precompilation in 1.2.8 as an example)
d) but we haven't put that on the official roadmap yet

Startup time is important to us, and we are working on it.