On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Eric Ka Ka Ng <ngk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> question no.1 - process running for more than 30 seconds
> sure, whatever kinds of batch processing, huge updates, urlfetch for
> thousands of URLs etc. can take long long time. but this is just NOT
> what GAE built for. it doesn't allow (at least currently) any task
> executing for more than 10s. the intent is very clear, it is suitable
> for hosting web services / frontend that user directly interacts with,
> and will not expect to get the response >10s, but not for batch
> processing

I'm about as big a fan of Appengine as anyone (I've built my company
on it), but GAE deserves to be criticized for the inadequacies that it
*does* have, otherwise it will never get better.

1) There are no data-intensive applications that do not at some point
require batch processing.  No matter how clever you are in designing
your application, at some point you will need to run a big query to
calculate statistics, change the model, clean the data, etc.  If you
haven't had to do this yet you haven't run your app long enough.

2) Appengine *does* support batch processing.  It just does so in a
very clunky and akward way:  the task queue.  You write a task that
crunches some data, watches for when it gets near the 30s deadline,
and then respawns itself to pick up where it left off.

The question is not whether GAE supports batch processing - it does -
it's just a question of how clumsy the API is.  It would be a lot less
clumsy if the 30s limitation were removed.

FWIW, in general I'm happy with the 30s limitation on user requests.
I just want to be able to designate certain requests as "run until my
money runs out".  Of course, then we need the ability to kill runaway
tasks...

(funny timing, I'm just about to launch a data cleaning task)

Jeff