Submitting an issue is a good start.  In the mean time, you could
always do as Tim suggested and either have a 15 minute "setup up your
development environment" session for the would-be Linux users _or_
just make a "binary" for them for now.

http://wiki.wxpython.org/CreatingStandaloneExecutables

This is a mildly interesting discussion though.  On my Mac I do use
the launcher, but usually in conjunction with a screen session in
Terminal.  I have actually never used the Linux GUI; in fact I do not
think I ever thought about using the launcher GUI on Linux.  Of course
most of your Linux would-be users probably aren't using Slackware
either.

Robert