Hello Robert,
You are right, that's the main reason why I started the post, to ask
for equality and support for the Linux community. Google can do it and
has benefited for some years now from the open source community, I
believe that most of their servers run on Linux. And I do know that
their developers and the company in general support Linux with passion
too. Yet, I often see more support for windows and mac as in this
case.
As Tim said, it is completely necessary to use the terminal for most
features, I am just saying that at least Windows and Mac users have
the option to chose. A couple of students had appengine up and running
in Ubuntu, we looked at how to run the commands and I spent some time
after class helping them out to familiarize with the environment and
still they opted to move to windows. It is true that we only have 6
classes of appengine and all they care about is doing their project as
fast as they can. Before, they had 6 classes of Amazon Web Services
and after appengine, 4 classes of Heroku.
I am new in the field of teaching, but I can see things from the other
side and realize a little bit more about how important it is to give
some extra support to the open source community.
Thank you both of you for your comments,
Regards