I am experiencing very high latency issues today even after a cold server
start. My app id is i-emote.

Here is an example taken from my log immediately after I had a warm server.
It is for an ajax request made immediately after the server had been spun up
and was then prepared to process requests. I know this is the case because
my client's code to kick off this ajax request is only made when there is
some input activity on the page like moving the mouse over the page. The log
show numerous entries for 10-10 but the following was one which was logged
after the app server was warm:

"i-emote.appspot.com" ms=2890 cpu_ms=3882 api_cpu_ms=12
cpm_usd=0.107886 throttle_code=1

On the server this request does the following:

Query the datastore (I am using Groovy with Objectify) - List<Comment> cl =
ofy().query(Comment.class).filter('emoteId',id).list()

This query resulted in 0 entities and the empty list was forwarded as a
parameter to a template which because the list was empty did 0 work because
there was no html to render.

That was the extent of this ajax's task on the server so I don't understand
why cpu_ms was so high.

I love App Engine as a platform. I see it as the future. I don't need to
sold on its advantages but right now I am struggling with issues of
performance instead of spending time developing my application which is
still in preview but which I am hoping to release as a version 1 very soon.

In any other environment I believe my application would be considered well
engineered and very fast. Can someone from the Team please look into this
for me and tell me either what I am doing wrong or what is wrong with App
Engine and what is being done to correct it and when we can expect to see it
corrected? I know App Engine is in preview but in truth - at this time
anyway - it seems more like an early beta. I wanted to begin billing so I
can exceed some of the free quotas but I don't want to pay for usage over
quota due to App Engine issues. I want to pay to go over free quota so as to
provide more resources to my users as my user base will spike once I
announce my application's official release.

Please, I need your help here.

Sincerely,
Jeff

--