From: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
[mailto:google-appengine@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Martino A. Sabia
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 3:35 AM
To: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
Subject: R: Re: R: RE: [google-appengine] Google blocks traffic to appengine
application

I'm sorry maybe I gonna say something totally wrong, but the "real" problem
here, IMO, is that there are NO EVIDENCE at all in any place we can access,
to say what was the real problem. So we're talking about something that can
be, but even can be not.

When Brandon said that Google see incoming traffic from CloudFlare as a DOS
attack, for the header issue or whatever, I gone to appspot dashboard's
Blacklist page to see if something was blocked. Well there was not, and
there was neither an IP address from CloudFlare in the list of most active
connections. I don't know if we can consider this an 'evidence' of
something. Maybe Google have something in front of GAE that filters incoming
traffic, but even for this, i have no evidence nor Google has declared this.
Am I missing something here?

For sure i can i say that i have other GAE apps without CloudFlare and,
during the issue, i was able to access them without problems. So I have some
legitimate suspect, but i can't consider them the real problem 'cause i
can't tell. The other think i can say is that, even if traffic comes from
geographically same origin but on different connections/networks there was
different behaviors. We had some users blocked for long time (3-5 hours),
some who doesn't had any problem, some that had blocked for a short period
of time (30min-1hour).

I have noticed that the blocking message was noticed especially by heavy
user of the website (editors, owners, developers) and the more the user used
the website in the past, the more was the blocking time.

I hope that there will not be a similar issue in the future, anyway the
first think that i will do is temporarily disable CloudFlare to see if it's
the real problem :D. In the meantime it will be 'nice' if the only one who
knows what REALLY happened, i.e. Google, will tell us...

For Chris from CloudFlare: do you think CloudFlare will investigate or can
you send some message to google (if you have some direct connection with
them) on this issue, or simply for you there is no issue at all?

For everybody: what is the best practice in this case? What to do now? Open
a ticket with google hoping they will investigate... some clues?

Martino