For a medium traffic website, I can only one amazon EC2 instance:
"Large Instance 7.5 GB, 4 ECUs, 850 GB of local instance storage, 64-
bit platform, $0.34 per hour"
or
"High-Memory Extra Large Instance, 17.1 GB, 6.5 ECUs, 420 GB of local
instance storage, 64-bit platform, $0.50 per hour"
with self-installed memory cache and without using load balancer at
all.

For the same computing power, I need at least 4 gae backends, which
will cost more than 4 times money than ec2.
And the storage price is less than half of gae.