Mainly because GAE is not a 'computing' platform as such. If want raw
computing power then again elsewhere will probably suit you better
(and save some money)

A GAE instance is much more than a 'slice of cpu and memory' - it has
a whole 'platform' surrounding it.

Apples != Oranges again.

Or to put it another way, its like comparing two different cars on
their engine alone. You could get a average car, with a really good
engine (and be happy). Or you could get a more expensive car, with a
OK engine, but with nice suspension, interior and a sound system.

The two cars are good in different ways - need to look at the whole
car, to decide if does the job for you.