My app is small data but a fair amount of complexity-- the
leading e-commerce platform and marketplace designed for wholesale, which
is very different than consumer.
 - 1000s of disparate data sources-- Google Spreadsheets (read live), data
feeds, and more.
 - third party integrations: email (Amzn SES), search engine, custom
payment vault, accounting system, ad server (Google DFP), Google Analytics
(incl events), twitter, etc.
 - 7 types of user accounts and 4+ tiers for two of them; catalog subsets
('portals') for partners incl. skins, capabilities, listings, etc.
 - complex business rules for pricing, promos, discounting, order minimums,
payments and more.
 - custom/modified GAE-based image processing pipeline, JS & CSS
compiler/compressors, littletable-based analytics package, etc.
 - dozens of automation tools for customer service and support.
 - html5 mobile app for assisting sales reps in the field; results affect
search ranking.
 - Python 2.5, with appstats, ereporter, pylint and git, selenium/sauce,
rietveld -- moving to 2.7 sometime this year...
 - <50,000 lines of code and ~4 person-years, for everything incl the
HTML/JS/CSS (!!); two patents pending.

At Google, I got a reputation as a maniac-- the BBF team are the same.
 It's hard work, but really fun.  Our customers are a who's who of US
specialty food brands and grocery stores, including Hilton Hotels, Whole
Foods, and a large tech company based in Mountain View, CA.

Currently, we're looking to extend ereporter to capture the top N
useragents (e.g. bots or browsers, and which ones) and referrers (track
down the source)-- if you want to help, reply, we'll send code and a bunch
of artisan chocolate from the warehouse!

adam
http://bbfdirect.com/ - world's largest catalog for wholesale specialty
products