On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:36 AM, doright <doug.stodd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> this is fascinating too.  I've been using Google Spreadsheets too, and for
> me that's one of the massive attractions of the GAE platform; the easy
> accessibility to a rich API set that has very broad user appeal &
> familiarity; spreadsheets, calendar, maps etc.  I actually use the database
> for my calendar coz its at the core of my system, but use spreadsheets to
> let customers put their bike fleets into and out of the system.  Coz 99% of
> my clients were using spreadsheets before, as you say it makes sense to
> leverage a familiar environment for them. I use asynchronous updates to keep
> the app in sync with the spreadsheet.  (though once loaded they mainly
> interact with my app).  I even wrote a whole backup system using
> spreadsheets and Task Queues coz when I started there were very limited
> backup options in Java (not sure I'd recommend the approach though ;)

I have to admit that I'm *really* disappointed with the Spreadsheet
API.  I expected an API that resembled, well, a spreadsheet - some
sort of tabular structure.  Instead it's a wacky Atom feed (actually,
multiple wacky Atom feeds) which requires an enormous amount of work
to parse and put into an actual tabular structure.  I really feel like
Google isn't even trying with this one.

We use a Google Spreadsheet to hold all the master data for
https://www.voo.st/compare  I wrote a python script that sucks the
data down and reformats it into html that gets included with our
deployments.  Overall the workflow is great and way better than trying
to maintain a shared document in git or dropbox or whatnot... but the
script is janky as hell.

Jeff