Hi Alex, very interesting reading about your apps, see below..

On Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:43:56 AM UTC+2, alex wrote:

> 1. One of the apps I built is a local restaurant online orders:
> http://www.orostube.it (they cook pretty much amazingly tasty pizza over
> there.)
>
> A customer drags whatever they want to eat to the
> bag<http://www.orostube.it/online>,
> checks out with cash (paying on site) or a credit card. The owner gets
> notified (Channels API) and confirms the order. Customer receives a
> feedback by email + instantly on the page (again via Channels API) with the
> time of pickup. The whole "add to the bag", "checkout", "confirm" and "pick
> up" thing goes during their lunch and dinner open hours. Actually, "add to
> the bag" and "checkout" can be done any time.

excellent user interface and experience, very slick, I'm impressed!  I'm
not surprised to hear the hardest part for you was javascript.  I
compromised on the sexy front-end in favor of  practicalities and opted for
GWT and the Sencha framework for mine.   So 95% of the time I just have to
write Java and not worry too much about browser issues, which is great when
you don't have a big team.Nice part about all this is I can always re-skin
the 'end-customer' facing part without touching the backend or the admin
console.

> Plus, the owner has an admin interface where he can add new dishes, pizza,
> "featured this week", daily and monthly orders stats (using Cron service to
> launch a couple nightly jobs), etc.
>
> The site never went down (running 8 months now), even during the worst
> times GAE infrastructure had. Ever. I've never had such a relief from
> having to manage my own servers, load balancers, think about a cron
> service, etc., before I started using GAE in production.

yes, my site has never gone down, but I've had quite a few wobbles recently
with lots of instances starting up and high latencies (theres another
thread about this)

> The main challenges were actually not in coding server side but on the
> client javascript (HTML5, make it cross-browsers compatible, drag & drop
> events for touch devices). Though, I did have to be careful with credit
> cards processing and API calls from their local bank, Channel API caveats (
> http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=4940) and
> Timezone handling (as stupid as it might sound).
>

> 2. An app for a local event, http://2012.ictdays.it/en
> The most challenging stuff here is probably handling users registration:
> there are about 90 companies participating to the event. They offer either
> job or an internship (or both). Then, there are students (from local
> universities), who can make a mini-appointment, 10 min interview, with a
> company(ies) they're interested in.
>
> So, every company has free timeslots. Whenever a user makes an appointment
> it becomes busy. There are many users and many slots so, the code updates
> entities within xg transactions so that two users wouldn't take the same
> free timeslots.
>

> The other thing is, all those data (e.g. appointments) are being
> synchronized with a Google Spreadsheet. Why? Organizers love lists and
> spreadsheets. They can mix and match data w/o asking/waiting me to
> implement a new feature within the app: they just do something like in the
> attachment - create a table where pink squares represent busy slots
> (already "taken"). After having this, they just relax in a chair watching
> new pink squares appear on that worksheet and focusing on marketing and how
> to make the event even more popular.

this is fascinating too.  I've been using Google Spreadsheets too, and for
me that's one of the massive attractions of the GAE platform; the easy
accessibility to a rich API set that has very broad user appeal &
familiarity; spreadsheets, calendar, maps etc.  I actually use the database
for my calendar coz its at the core of my system, but use spreadsheets to
let customers put their bike fleets into and out of the system.  Coz 99% of
my clients were using spreadsheets before, as you say it makes sense to
leverage a familiar environment for them. I use asynchronous updates to
keep the app in sync with the spreadsheet.  (though once loaded they mainly
interact with my app).  I even wrote a whole backup system using
spreadsheets and Task Queues coz when I started there were very limited
backup options in Java (not sure I'd recommend the approach though ;)