> On Feb 22, 2016, at 3:44 PM, 'Jon Parrott' via Google App Engine
> <google-appengine@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Are there plans to port over NDB for datastore access on managed VMs?
>
> There is on-going discussion about NDB for Cloud Datastore here
> <https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/gcloud-python/issues/557#issuecomment-106952671>.
>  The tl;dr is that basically it's possible, it's planned, but its contingent
> on the next release of the Cloud Datastore API and decoupling NDB from the
> App Engine SDK.

Great.

> That being said, you can absolutely continue use NDB in Managed VMs by using
> runtime: python-compat
> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/managed-vms/python/migrating-an-existing-app>.

Is that new? Last I looked I believe NDB was not supported. If I could suggest
it would be helpful to use more specific terminology than Datastore on that
page.

> Is webapp2 going to be deprecated
>
> There are no present plans that I'm aware of to deprecate webapp2. Because
> webapp2 is a WSGI-compliant web framework and is not itself tied to App
> Engine, you can use it in Standard, Managed VMs, and pretty much anywhere
> else. It'll continue to work everywhere WSGI works.

Sure - I currently use it on GCE as well just to not use two frameworks. But it
is abandoned as far as I can tell - there are bugs that have not been addressed
in years.

> It's also an open-source project and patches are always welcome.

I’m sorry, but that’s a little disingenuous. As far as I can tell there is _no_
activity on webapp2. I submitted a bug report that pointed to an exact line of
code that needed to be changed but there was no response
(https://code.google.com/archive/p/webapp-improved/issues/102
<https://code.google.com/archive/p/webapp-improved/issues/102>). It’s not clear
that there is any process to submit patches (contributing on the website has no
information - https://webapp-improved.appspot.com/#contribute
<https://webapp-improved.appspot.com/#contribute>), there is no active mailing
list / discussion forum, the bug tracker is just an archive on google code, and
I can see no evidence that there is anyone other than a Google employee that
can commit.

So - I’ll call your bluff. Tell me how to submit a patch for the issue I
pointed to and I’ll happily do so.

Otherwise, please consider declaring that the project is abandoned and stop
pointing people to webapp2 in App Engine documentation since it’s a dead end.

Karl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/AF77E164-0058-455F-9679-87FDB89C1926%40strajillion.com.