Just a personal input/data point -- writing not as a Googler but as a
"Python guru":-)

Currently writing the 3rd edition of Python in a Nutshell (in my copious
personal time), I've recently finished the "serving HTTP" chapter (the book
is already available in Early Release form at the O'Reilly website, check
it out:-). For the purpose, I thoroughly tested lightweight frameworks
(rich frameworks such as django, web2py, and the like, though I mentioned
them, aren't really "my thang"). Specifically: falcon, flask, bottle, and
webapp2.

Of the four, webapp2 remains my favorite (admittedly I started out knowing
it much better than the others, which may have biased me). Next in order of
preference, falcon, bottle, flask -- all good, but the most popular, flask,
is accruing so much extras that it barely qualifies as "lightweight" any
more.

If webapp2 becomes easy to offer patches for again, I'll spend personal
time (once the Nutshell is finished -- give me a few more months!-) helping
there -- indeed I'll volunteer to vet pull requests if gurus to vet them
are needed -- to help keep out the kinds of deep integration with unrelated
components (such as the admittedly superb templating framework jinjia2)
which are fattening up flask:-(.

I sure hope (very personal preference) that webapp2 isn't put out to
pasture... should it be, I might either fork it, or give up and move to
falcon for new projects (and maybe volunteer to help out on THAT framework).

Again, just personal preferences -- but, ones based on almost 20 years'
experience with Python (starting with a personal website project using CGI)
and on being a Fellow of the PSF and a winner of the Frank Willison
Memorial Award for contributions to Python:-).

Alex

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAE46Be88%2B0HVkTbg4OmjwgGNSgjjzLYqA32zMETWshshwDxLBg%40mail.gmail.com.