What are we looking at having in these interfaces? The discussion that
Goktug and I had a few months ago got stalled around the concept that these
interfaces were trying to both be a) implementation independent but also b)
rich enough to be useful. Doing both is hard/meaningless.

To pick an example, button has a few basic premises (in the standard GWT
widgets) - it has text (or html if you support a base other than an
<input>), it can receive focus, and it is a source of click events. In a
perfect world an implementation could be backed by an appearance (perhaps
wrapped itself in a cell) like the TextButton...

But this ends up meaning that 'click' events aren't the only thing to worry
about - a <div> won't pass along key events like space or enter as a means
of activating the button. So we either need to also emit key events, and
touch events, or need to wrap all of these in one event (GXT calls it a
SelectEvent).

Either we have a backward compat problem (can't represent both past and
future button-ish widgets with the same interface), or we limit the button
implementations to a single setup (must be backed by <button> or <input>,
or perhaps an <a>?).

So, my point: Is the purpose of the IsButton *only* to be an interface for
com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.Button? Or are we trying to build this out
for the ideal button (and ideal text box, etc)?

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Ed <post2edb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The simpler thing than buffering is just to have a StubButton, e.g.:
>
> Ahhhh, how could I forget ;)... I just remember the Stubs* Widgets in your
> gitHub  ;)
>
> But is this even needed ?
> If you use a template mechanism it might not be needed.
> The template is created during setStyle() and other operations and only
> used in GWT client mode when the underlying "Widget" is created...
>
>  --
> http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit-Contributors
> ---

218.248.6165