Bruce et all,

On behalf of the Jetty team,  can I say that we're delighted to hear
the GWT team is considering using Jetty for hosted mode.

According to NetCraft statistics, Jetty has around 70-80% of the
market share of Tomcat for *visible* deployed servers. Of course,
as Jetty is embedded in numerous products, like Eclipse IDE and
Grails, then actually the number of Jetty installations out there is
muuuuuuch bigger :) And there are some very very large production
sites that run under Jetty, but mostly these commercial sites
obscure the server id.

As you probably already know, Jetty has been a leader in the area of
async.
servlet processing (aka "Continuations":
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Continuations)
and we've already integrated this capability into the GWT remoting
framework
(http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/GWT) - we'd love to work
with the GWT team to make that integration even better.

As far as Jetty/Tomcat differences go, since servlet spec 2.5 there
is
much less scope for spec ambiguities to cause different behaviour
between the 2 servers, and generally speaking what runs on one will
run on the other. We've hardly received any portability issues at all
since
spec 2.5.

Of course, should a portability issue arise, we're more than happy
to work with the GWT team to resolve it.

best regards
Jan